[Scribus] How is the support for CJK users?

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Sep 1 09:49:42 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 04:18, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> I can correctly place CJK characters onto story editor. But I
> experienced several crash when doing things like exporting PDF format,
> when my document contains CJK characters.
>
> CJK means Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Is there any effort put into
> this area? Are we planning to add Asian typography in the near future?

Which version of Scribus ? Which distro and library versions?

We have had one user who used Scribus to create packaging in Chinese and he
indicated no real difficulties or crashes with CJK. He said it was easier to
do this in Scribus than in other apps. There is a screen shot of that file
here: http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=printing&page=print2

I have a copy of that file which works fine in 1.2. I just tested importing
and exporting UTF-8 text from the story editor, as well as exporting PDF
without problems.  The PDF displays and prints perfectly from Acro Reader
5.09

CJK is not officially supported yet, as CJK input methods have not been
installed. However, a great deal of work will be put into the 1.3 series to
extend language and script support for non-Latin scripts.

None of the current devels has any real knowledge of CJK, so any help there
would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Peter