[Scribus] Command Line Interface

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Oct 29 21:30:22 CEST 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 20:46, mark wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> >On Friday 29 October 2004 18:22, mark wrote:
> >>I'm trying to work on a CLI for scribus to run python scripts w/o a
> >>gui.  This would allow scribus to work as a PDF rendering engine for
> >>scribus XML files as templates, or, with a little help from python, a
> >>press-ready XSL-FO rendering engine.  I'm trying to modify the program
> >>to do this, but it looks like the plugin system is heavily tied to QT.
> >>I wouldn't mind keeping the plugin system tie to QT and requiring QT and
> >>X for the command line process, but I can't seem to include
> >>scriptplugin.h w/o breaking a lot of dependencies in pconsole.h and
> >>other .h files in the plugin dir.  Here's my diff with the very
> >>beginnings of my idea.
> >
> >The idea is good, tho XSL-FO is not designed for press work, hence we are
> > not using it for the new Scribus 1.3 format.
>
> Whether or not it is designed for press work there are industries using
> it for that.  I understand the differences between content-based
> formatting and layout based formatting.  But at some point the
> content-based formatting must be converted into a format that
> respects the target meduim if it is to be printed or rendered to PDF.  I
> was thinking of a conversion process to take XSL-FO language
> documents and turn them into Scribus' layout-based file format, then
> render them into press-ready PDFs.  Perhaps this is not possible, or
> at least not practical to get good results.

Just because someone uses it for press work doesnt meant they should be, or
that we should. However, producing a method to convert from XSL-FO content
based into layout based in Scribus WOULD be a good thing. Please note in any
work you do do, our format is now officially in development and the 1.2.x
format is the only thing stable. 1.3 format is being developed and will be
vastly different to the 1.2.x format.

> >The whole program is highly tied to Qt. Will be interesting to see your
> > idea progress.
>
> grr...
>
> I guess I will have to do more C++ programming than I thought.   What
> are the ramifications of attaching another Python scripting interface
> that is not tied to Qt, then replacing the original python interface with
> the decoupled one and a Qt interface?  Is that a direction that Scribus
> is willing to go towards?  I do have another project that is completely
> unrelated to XSL-FO, I just need to create some course material for a
> university from a database.  I python script to combine Scribus's XML
> with data from a database and then render to PDF seems like the
> best solution for creating custom booklets from a web site.

Well.. you could write another one as another plugin. Submit some ideas and we
can look at them...

Craig