[Scribus] Re: Bug in calendar script: python is the reason (Eilert)]

Elmar Jobs infonews
Thu Oct 28 13:11:40 CEST 2004

Hi!

scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de schrieb:
> [Scribus] Bug in calendar script: python is the reason
>
> I just found what caused the bug in the calendar script here: it seems
> that python doesn't accept characters larger than 128, i. e. German
> Umlauts, French accents etc. EVEN WITHIN LINES OF COMMENTS.

That's correct. The problem is the internal encoding. You can change it
by inserting

import sys
sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8')   # or ISO8859-1

at the top of the script. I might be that your distribution prohibits
setting this value (than the function is unknown).
For SuSE I had to edit /usr/lib/python/site.py and remove the two lines

	if hasattr(sys, "setdefaultencoding"):
	    del sys.setdefaultencoding

at the end of the file.

	Elmar