[Scribus] Imposing a booklet on Mac OS X: CocoaBooklet

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Sat Oct 23 22:56:33 CEST 2004

The issue of imposing a Scribus document as a booklet comes up a lot.
I came across a freeware program,
CocoaBooklet (http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/index2.html - click on the
world map to toggle between
French and English) written by Fabien Conus which runs on Mac OS X. It
imposes a PDF file of single,
sequential pages into the correct form for printing as a booklet,
double-sided, flipped along the narrow end.
I have no connection to CocoaBooklet other than being a satisfied user.

It has been very useful for previewing a booklet as I work on it. It
does create a very large file
(up to 10 times larger for 40-50 page booklets). The author knows
about the problem and says
it's due to the PDF engine he is using. It is on his list of things to
do on the program. However, as a
result, I have not trusted it for my final version that goes to the
printer. (The output has looked
fine on my laser printer at home.) I don't know enough about PDF to
know whether the "simple"
act of imposing pages can mess up the excellent PDF that Scribus
creates. It has sure been easier
to use and has produced better output than the psnup/psbook/ps2pdf
script I had been using for
booklet previews.

--
Carol Kankelborg