[Scribus] pdf/x3

Peter Linnell mrdocs
Fri Oct 1 03:27:21 CEST 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 01:16, Wayne Maeda wrote:
> How does one export to pdf/x3? I notice the tab is grayed out and
> can't be selected. What do I need to do this?

You need color management enabled in Tools > Options. Hopefully also a
reasonably close icc color profile of the printer to be used OR a "standard"
press profile SWOP, FOGRA etc..

> My printer wants my pdf in x1A format. He had problems with the png
> graphic in my usual pdf file having a black background (which it
> didn't). It looked fine when I previewed it in my Acrobat 5.0 viewer.

PDF/x1A is a bit different and not yet supported in Scribus. Note, the
 PDF/X-3 is the latest and best at color mangement, if properly setup.

Only the latest RIPs can handle PDF/X-3 and imo, where the Europeans are more
advanced (in general) than the North American printing industry.. See:
http://fogra.org and http://eci.org for press profiles and info.

Hope that helps,
Peter