[Scribus] PDF/PS import?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Nov 26 11:22:37 CET 2004

Actually.. I'll clarify,

> > > I would like to be able to use PDF as an exchange format, so I could
> > > receive a document in PDF, import it and modify it, and produce a new
> > > PDF as a result.
> >
> > Unfortunately, what it comes down to is that Scribus just doesn't
> > support that. PDF, as a format, really isn't designed for it - the only
> > program I can think of that can really modify PDF is Adobe Acrobat, and
> > even it can't do that much without the PitStop plugin.
>
> I think that is a little incorrect, given Adobe hasnt updated PS in ages.
> Theres nothing wrong with PDF editing. Now, can someone give us 48 hours
> per day?

I think theres no reason PDF cant be imported successfully, but in the end its
not a DTP or WP format as such so theres a lot more involved in parsing the
files to get to an editable state.

> > You'll also find that PS or EPS documents that are imported are imported
> > without bitmap images, and with text rendered as vector graphics. It's
> > not really overly  conducive to exporting a document, editing it
> > somewhere else, and importing it again.
>
> Importing the graphics is just another thing on the todo list.
>
> > > I have tried postscript created by OpenOffice, kGhostView, and Scribus.
> >
> > I've had good results from OO.o PS, Scribus PS, QuarkXPress EPS files
> > (and trust me, that's saying something), Acrobat EPS made from PDF
> > files, and PS created by an app called Pongrass. I still run into the
> > odd one that gives me trouble, and am collecting a set to send to Franz
> > as tests, but mostly they 'just work' within the limitations of the
> > importer.
>
> There should be some more updates to the PS importer as I found a couple of
> commands last night that we didnt support yet.

> > Depending on what you need to do, you may have better results using EPS
> > or PDF in graphics frames using 'get picture'. The downside is that
> > they're rasterised when exported to PDF. You can work around this by
> > converting any PDFs to EPSs, and making a PostScript file from Scribus
> > that you then distill with Acrobat Distiller or ps2pdf.
>
> Or just use a high enough res PDF. I have exported many a complex table at
> 300+dpi into PDF from OO.org and embedded with perfect results in Scribus.

As Craig says, rasterisation happens, and depending on the output destination
it will or will not affect the result. When I create my magazine, it gets
printed on the other side of the world, and when I get it back, it looks as
good as the copy I can print here, however its depends on the printing
process, paper, colour range, resolution etc etc etc.

Craig