[Scribus] Usefulness of Scribus on Mac

Sunil Joshi pavansut
Thu Nov 25 02:58:18 CET 2004

One of the things I like about mac is that it gives the user the
ability to take advantage of the open source software.  The Pearl among
open source softwares is Scribus, which I have used quite a bit to
create variety (although simple) of materials for my wife's new
business (Jaya Teas).  So far, I have used Scribus to design:

- A tea packaging (caddy) http://www.jayateas.com/bhadresh/archive1.zip
- 22 different six color informational brochures
http://www.jayateas.com/newbrochures1.pdf.zip
- A six color catalog  http://www.jayateas.com/archive.zip   [THIS FILE
IS QUITE LARGE]
- Letter heads & envelops
http://www.jayateas.com/jtstationeryarchive.pdf.zip
- Business cards   http://www.jayateas.com/bizcard.zip
   etc etc.

In short, Scribus (and GIMP, I might add) helped us get the business
off the ground without having to spend a penny on design work.  So, we
are deeply indebted to the Scribus team for creating a product that is
so good, it could be used in business settings and even by novices like
me.

Although Scribus is such a useful tool, it is a shame that not a single
article has appeared in Mac World or Mac Addict magazines which tend to
be the major sources of information for Mac users.  I want to offer
Jaya Teas as an example of how small business can use Scribus on Mac to
design professional looking publications other materials without a
steep learning curve.

Unfortunately I am not much of a writer so I would like to team up with
a writer on the list who is an expert with words to communicate:
- the human/business interest aspect of open source softwares (helping
small business get ahead by reducing the cost of computing)
- relative ease of installing open source software on mac (thanks to
FINK project & Martin in particular)
- relative ease of use of scribus (cover important features with above
as examples)

If any one is interested in teaming up with me to write a substantive
article for Scribus on Mac, please contact me offline and we can
discuss how to get this project started.  Previous experience in
writing articles is a must otherwise this will be a blind leading blind
situation!

I want to take the opportunity to thank Franz, Craig and Peter for
their work on the project and for helping me answer my questions, and
to Martin Costabel who maintains the program on to Fink, without which
none of this would be possible.

-Sunil

www.jayateas.com
PREMIUM TEAS FROM THE HIGHLANDS