[Scribus] symbolic links

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Mon Nov 22 20:44:07 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:32:35 -0500, BandiPat <magicpage91 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It sounds like it is working fine for your links, unless I'm
> misunderstanding your intentions.

You're misunderstanding my intentions.

Let's say that I have this directory:

/home/example/scribus/docs

And I also have this directory:

/opt/moreexample/scribus/moredocs

Now I load this document:

/home/example/scribus/docs/mydocument.sla

Now I want to load a document from /opt/moreexample/scribus/moredocs.
To avoid having to climb the directory tree all the way up and all the
way back down (which is a lot of clicking) I can just put a symbolic
link into my /home/example/scribus/docs directory, like this:

ln -s /opt/moreexample/scribus/moredocs/sample.sla
/home/example/scribus/docs/examplelink

Now I load sample.sla from the same directory that I loaded my first
document from, which works fine.

But

Now the next time I want to load a document my "load from" directory
has changed from /home/example/scribus/docs to
/opt/moreexample/scribus/moredocs.  Which is not where I want to be.

The symbolic link should be honoured as-is, and not "translated" back
into the real directory path.  In other words, if I load a symbolic
link in the current directory,  I should remain in the current
directory for subsequent operations, not get magically moved to the
linked directory.  Follow my link to load the file (or directory), but
don't move me there completely.

I hope this is a better explanation.