[Scribus] OT: Passepartout

fredd effediwhy
Mon Nov 22 12:04:31 CET 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:33:02 +0100, VAN?K Petr <petr.vanek at spordat.cz> wrote:
> hi all
>
> do you have any experineces with Passepartout? There is new version of
> this (for me unknown) software but it has a lot of gnome dependencies so
> it could take a while to install it on my gentoo box... but I would like
> to know what "concurency" do :)

I did not try last version, but previous one.
A major problem, AFAIC, is (was ?) that it it not possible to enter
text directly, you have to use a stream, ie an external file, and text
formatting is done using stylesheets. This means that your text file
must be in a format handled by a xslt. In previous version there was
xslt for xhtml and docbook only.
The frames cannot be shaped and so are always rectangular or square
(or I did not find the way to do it :)
I did not look at the output as I was unable to make any nice looking
document with it :)
I would really be too long to list all the features Scribus has and
Passepartout doesn't; so long that the real question is to know if we
can talk about "concurency" : goals and philosophy of both softwares
seem really different from each other.

Frederic