[Scribus] problems to convert a pdf

Elmar Jobs infonews
Sun Nov 21 20:59:31 CET 2004

scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de schrieb:
> I do have access to windows, but not to Photoshop. It is not really that gimp
> is not (really) supporting cmyk (convert does!), but the produced PDFs from
> Scribus are not correctly understood by gs... So no tool on a Linux-Computer
> (instead of Adobe Acrobat reader) is able to interpret the produced pdf in a
> propper way, because it is going back to gs. Gimp for example opens an pdf
> (or ps or eps) with gs. So if gs fails, it seems like gimp is failing...

That's not really correct. I had the same problem and the best way (and
only I have found) was the GIMP. I am using GIMP 2.0 and gs 7.0.7 (SuSE
9.1) and used GIMP 1.x before.
Import of PDF was quite good (I somehow doubt it uses gs, because gs
always failed). But maybe I used the EPS export.
Then I used the separate plugin for GIMP (was part of my distribution,
but you can find it at http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml
as well).

So there is a tool ...

But having your print-shop accept PDF is a much better solutions as the
fonts are sharp and really black.

	Elmar