[Scribus] Tips for a newbie and request for examples

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip
Mon Nov 15 22:16:08 CET 2004

I am a newbie in the field of typesetting. Regardless, I am fascinated by
the field and like other fields of art, find this terribly attractive.

My observations while going through Niyam's excellent tutorial, was that
the following aspects - among numerous others, are crucial in producing
professional grade documents.

a. How to "space" content in the document - less is more.
b. Know where to use which kind of fonts.
c. Knowledge of the complete printing process.
d. Color theory - especially being always aware that what we are creating
in (the screen) is quite different from where it is ultimately coming out
(the printer). This otherwise elementary concept is mostly missing from the
vast population of word-processor users.

Having some technical writing background, my interest (at present)
primarily lies in creating technical documents, manuals, etc. for my normal
development work.

I would like to know if there are any Scribus scripted books and manuals -
fiction/non-fiction, technical/non-technical (in Scribus source format, of
course) which I can observe to get a "hang of the field". Like other fields
of art, I do understand that typesetting is not something that you can read
in a book and start off right away. It comes more from experience, a sense
of aesthetics, a lot of observation power, among others. I just want some
like a heads-up for starting off in this field.

Also, is there a mailing list where general typesetting discussion takes place?

Thanks,
  Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3