[Scribus] info on ps/pdf

linuxlingam linuxlingam
Tue Nov 9 14:40:46 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 16:48, Bo?tjan ?peti? wrote:
> hi all
>
> i'm preparing for my workshop, and am a bit confused. [snip] and still can't quite grasp the ps-pdf relationship. ps is "vector" format right? yes. just like pdf right? yes. and thay both know how to include bitmaps.yes.
> so the big difference is?

ps was launched in 1984, for sending vector data to output devices like
printers, imagesetters, and even slide/film recorders. it is a
device-independent language. a page-description language.

pdf, launched circa 1992, is PS, but ripped and viewed on your computer
screen. pdf is human-facing, ps is device-facing. acrobat allows a
soft-preview of a ps, viewable inside acrobat reader.

at heart, pdf IS ps. only the use and purpose is more enhanced, and more
human-facing.
pdf is a wrapper around ps.

when you send a pdf to a printing plant or production house, the pdf
file is essentially ripped into films or plates, as a postscript file.

> and eps is?

think of it as a clever way of nesting postscript data inside another
postscript file. hence encapsulated postscript.

> thanks in advance...
> regards, bostjan

hope this helps.

:-)