[Scribus] Scribus Feature Requests and Discussion

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon May 24 16:54:21 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 16:19, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:41, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > ? (At) 12h30 +0800 24/05/04, Craig Ringer ?crivait (wrote) :
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >  > I think Quark and Indesign have
> > >  > this implemented in a similar manner.
> > >
> > >If Quark does it, I'd love to know how. Maybe it was added in Quark 5 or
> > >6 (but that'd mean getting something for your upgrade money, so I'm not
> > >convinced), but all I have been able to find is the usual linked image
> > >ability.
> >
> > Actually, what Quark has done within 6.0 is a dynamic update of text
> > content within "user tagged" text boxes. Say you have a book title on
> > the front page, and that title is repeated in various pages in your
> > document, and on the spine and back cover (that could all be part of
> > the same "cover" page), you could tag this text so any change would
> > reflect wherever it is used in the document, keeping the specific
> > styles and text enrichments for each use.
>
> I take it that Quark 6 does this tagging in such a way as that the
> master text is stored within the Quark document, rather than an external
> file? That's nice, but not really what I'm thinking of, as the key idea
> in my case is to get the copy editors away from Quark.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking of:
> ----
> Author: Lesley
> Section: Community News
> Heading: Dog eats man
>
> Body text here blah blah blah blah
> ssdf blah bsdasdf a kbj bkah blah
>
> Caption1: The dog, looking guilty
> ----
>
> The above is what I'd be looking for in the end - a way to keep all text
> content in a single file, and be able to "update" the page in the DTP
> app to pull in changes. Changes in the DTP app could also update the
> data file. I strongly suspect some form of markup would be required to
> achieve this, however. XML, inevitably ;-)
>
> I'm actually wondering if I could do this with a Python script. That
> raises the interesting possibility of pulling the text out of a database
> instead of a marked up file, too. Drat - yet another thing goes on my
> long TODO list.
>
> The difficulty would be tagging the text fields with the record ID and
> field. Is there any way for scripts to attach extra data to objects like
> textboxes?

No.

> When looking over the Scripter API docs, I also didn't spot a way to
> create linked text boxes. Is this possible?

Yes.
LinkTextFrames(name1, name2)
Create the linked text frames. Parameters are the object names.
UnlinkTextFrames(name)
Remove the specified (named) object from the text frame flows/linkage.

> Oh, and guys: Thanks again for all the wonderful work. I know I usually
> come forward with issues, but that's all in the interest of ironing out
> things I think make it harder to use Scribus in my particular field of
> experience. I definitely appreciate all your work, and I love watching
> the way the app develops.

Its a lot of fun.. just takes time. Things are getting there.. and
closer to 1.2.

Craig