[Scribus] Scribus Tutorial

linuxlingam linuxlingam
Wed May 19 08:09:13 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 05:06, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Hi LL,
[snip]
> >for the record: the tutorial is done in oo.o since the original
> >templates of *all* tutorials, including sodipodi, and the coming
> >cinepaint, etc, are created by me in oo.o so had to standardize on that.
> >
> >repurposing, heavy text editing, word-processing, are important features
> >while authoring the tutorial. this done best in a wordprocessor.
>
> This is exactly what I thought. I also agree. It's a matter of
> getting the right tools do the right things... and keep everything to
> a certain level of simplicity as well. I am always a bit suspicious
> in front of a piece of software that "does it all"... (or tries to do
> it all...)

well, traditional digital publishing workflows start with text
wordprocessed in a wordprocessor, going thru edit cycles, and then
finally landing at the production desk for layout and artworks.
i am just following that process.

[snip]

> I deeply think Scribus is a fabulous work horse.
>
> A few more words on your tutorial : as I am reading and translating
> it, I feel this is exactly what people need to get started with any
> software. A simple yet not simplist walk through, hands on, real
> world example, with easy to follow steps and a result in the end. Not
> only does it give the taste of Scribus, it also opens up doors. This
> is the way to built people's self-confidence!

wish i could have covered several more tips. ran out of time. would
appreciate if the opensource community adds and enhances this further.
all thanks to the FDL.

> Here, I work to get OpenSource software into the schools. We face so
> many people turning their backs on us... Only because they don't
> know. Only because they don't want to know.

yes, i noted schools and academia turn to turn their backs. which is
ironic considering linux grew out of academia...
so, to tackle this problem, especially here where i conduct workshops on
design and prefer using scribus and other similar tools, wrote the
'guerrilla warfare for gyaan' document, which you may use freely:

http://www.niyam.com/gnulinux/whitepapers/whitepaper.php?guerrillawar

> Now, would you believe I
> printed your turorial from the PDF and handed the resulting brochure
> to a school director saying proudly this was actually done with
> OpenSource software! The answer I got amazed me at first : "It looks
> professional. Now, tell me, what do these people do for a living"...

ask craig! :-)  actually, here is the reason why professionals work,
develop, and use scribus and other freelibre tools:

http://www.niyam.com/gnulinux/lfy/fy/FY-monthly-col.php?may2k4

[note: muft = free-of-cost. mukt=freedom]

also, craig did a layout of a publication that is quite professional.
ask him for urls.

> Then, I started a private conference, talking about the community,
> the sharing values... It ended up with a totally new look at Linux
> from that director.
>
> Another good reason (if at all necessary!) to translate it in French
> (in any language, I would say!).
>
> Is Yug a name or does it mean God or Goddess?

yug= 'era' or 'age' as in the 'new age of freedom'

indian mysticism divides Time into four ages: satyug to kalyug. the
first is the age of truth, the last is the age of chaos and untruth.
that is this age. by titling the mag 'freedomyug' i imply the current
age of computing with its ethical and other problems is 'kalyug' and the
next age, is appropriately 'freedomyug'. tongue-in-cheek. :-)

do a googlesearch for 'four yugs satyug kalyug' and you'll get more
information.