[Scribus] qt 3-3.3.2 + SuSE 9.0

Sjoerd Hiemstra shiems.scribus-ml
Tue May 11 21:57:29 CEST 2004

Five days ago, on Thu, 6 May 2004, Bart Alberti wrote:
> I am happy to report that the 1.2 cvs and ALSO 1.1.6.tar.gz compile
> with qt3-3.3.2 which has appeared on the SuSE site www.suse.com as of
> April 28, 2004. Today is May 6, 2004 @  10 PM PDT USA. SuSE users are
> well advised to follow the SuSE rpms ONLY unless they are very adept.

I upgraded qt3-3.1.1 that came with SuSE 8.2 to this qt3-3.3.2 from the
"Update for 8.2" section of the SuSE site.
Running gnome-settings-daemon, which is needed for the gtk2 font
settings, affects the qt font settings; the qt menu fonts in particular
become much larger.

It appears to have something to do with xft/antialiasing.
In the 'qtconfig' utility belonging to qt3-3.1.1, antialiasing could be
switched off, which solved this problem; in the qtconfig that is part of
qt3-3.3.2 this option is not there.
Possibly, this problem only arises with certain video cards, that have
rendering facilities (?)

Anyway, I went back to qt3-3.1.1 and fortunately, all the hassle is
gone.

S.H.