[Scribus] Postscript import into Scribus?

John Culleton john
Sat May 8 09:18:09 CEST 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 08:45 am, linuxlingam wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 18:57, Craig Ringer wrote:
> [snip]
>

> > What might be useful, though, is something that could
> > just import the text content from Quark and InDesign
> > documents, producing a set of frames in a temporary
> > scrapbook that could be positioned and styled
> > appropriately.

I follow the mail on Scribus but have not mastered it at
all. Still, in my world, which is TeX, I run  a Postscript
or PDF file through a conversion to plain text using tools
suchas pstotext or ps2ascii.

Indeed this is how I do indexing. The customer gives me a
pdf file with pagination  of course and then I reduce it to
plain text with a couple of steps. Then in Vim is replace
all the ^L characters with the string \vfil\eject. Then I
embed my indexing tags, run the thing through TeX, run
makeindex and then run TeX again and I have typeset index.
It is a tad more complicated than that but you get the
idea.

Anyhow a key part to the process is the conversion to ascii
text with page breaks preserved. This should work for
Scribus as well I would think. The ticket here is not to
expect Scribus to do everything but rather use other tools
to convert the intractable PS and PDF files to plain text,
which can then be imported into Scribus as suggested above.
The formatting is lost for the most part.

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers