[Scribus] Imposition

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Mar 31 12:37:56 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 10:47, el =?iso-8859-15?q?Sism=F3grafo?=, S.L.
wrote:
> Though I made the initial proposal I totally agree with Louis and Craig. I
> think at the moment there are too many other things that need to be done.
>
> I also believe that there are two different things we are talking about: One
> thing is imposing other documents like tiffs through Scribus. This can be
> done quite well through scripting.
>
> What I was talking about is to impose entire documents layouted with Scribus
> before they are streamed to pdf or output device.
> This still is a _major_ issue because of the huge amount of factors like color
> sequence for the calibration bars, situation of the calibration bar, spacing
> between pages on the sheets, page orders, bleeds, etc.
>
> Although implementation can wait, I think the printer folks on the list should
> do the conceptual work for a plug-in. What should it do, how does it work
> (fully automated, template based, etc.). It would even be helpful to start
> with some code. Although the whole bloody thing will have to be rewritten at
> a later point (may be in a couple of years), this code would be helpful for
> the coder that wants to pick it up to see what the idea is. And also because
> I hate turning up with the odd "could you please..." without contributing
> anything.

A couple of years is a LONG time in the Scribus world. Design it, get it
done, dont plan for a rewrite except when the base program changes force
it. Its been proven that rewrites are often unnecessary and a big waste
of time, except of course when the initial code was completely broken.

> I also think that this should be started as a sort of sig (special interest
> group). Any proposals?

I propose that it does NOT split off from the mailing list, or from the
main website in any way at all. Its good to keep all communication in
one place and there are many interested people from the low end too (ie
those supplying docs to printers), and many who have no clue about what
you want to achieve but have the time to code something given a spec.

If such a group was to form, then let us know and we can provide an area
on www.scribus.net for docs etc.

While I support the idea of plugins like this, I personally prefer to
keep it all in one package (still as a plugin). That is.. when its
ready, it gets distributed with scribus-x.x.x.tar.gz like the current
plugins are, rather than a third party plugin in another tar.gz. There
are so many apps that have a million plugins and they become disjointed,
hard to find, they need a specific version anyway, and many users would
want such a plugin, its better imo to keep it in the main build.

regards
Craig