[Scribus] Plug-in for Imposition?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Mar 30 14:25:23 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 12:13, el =?iso-8859-15?q?Sism=F3grafo?=, S.L.
wrote:
> As Scribus is moving towards a 2.0 release, it is slowly becoming an
> additional option for professionals that have to deal with big scale printing
> like editors, service bureaus, and of course printers.
> You won't expect a firm to switch its entire workflow just like that to a new
> program, however, I decided to do some pages of our main product with
> Scribus, just to give it a try. I will tell you next month how it went.

We encourage and appreciate any feedback from the level of home user to
professional printer and I will look out for your information. It will
be interesting to read. We have had a few printers give their feedback
so far.

> By the way, there is one issue I would like to have some more opinions about:
> Following the subjects mentioned on the list I have noticed that there are a
> lot of cuestions related to imposing (even if some people are not aware of
> their cuestion being actually related to it ;-). If you have a look at the
> python scripts for scribus you will also notice that quite a few of them are
> also related to imposition (bleeds, crops, turning etc.). Though with the
> production of pdfs imposition is not a major issue anymore, there are no apps
> for linux available for doing imposition jobs. You have to do the rest of the
> job on a OSX or XP box. Plus, you need a seperate application for imposition.
> Furthermore, I think that the integration of imposition into an app through a
> plugin offers quite a few advantages. If you do not understand what I am
> talking about, have a look at the corel draw/photo paint print preview with
> their options. In spite of their bad reputation and the huge amount of probs
> in a production environment that these programs are famous for, I must admit
> that they have done a good job on this one.
>
> Anyway, I do not know if there is enough demand/need for having a scribus
> extension for imposing purposes. What does the folk say about that?

Quite a few people would like this I think. It seems some printers are
asking Scribus users for already imposed PDFs, and for the casual user
it would be a help for their own printing efforts I think. If the work
could be completed in Scribus it would be a good thing, although knowing
many printers they would get a bit nervous having their job done for
them.

Anything that can help take Scribus to the professional end of the
market would be a great thing.

Craig