[Scribus] type input very slow, CPU at 100%

Jean-Jacques Sarton jj.sarton
Mon Mar 29 17:42:28 CEST 2004

Hi Craig,

Craig Bradney schrieb:
> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 01:58, Servant wrote:
>
>>Using Scribus 1.1.5 Build-ID: 14. February 2004 *-C-T
>>and am learning it to replace PageMaker, which I've used
>>for about a decade.  I'm running Slack 9.1, kernel 2.4.23,
>>a 2.4GHz P4 with 1MB of DDR333.
>>
>>When typing, the text output is very slow.  If I type the previous
>>sentence, I'll be finished before the word 'When' is displayed.
>>CPU usage goes to 100%, the process load is extremely high,
>>too, and there is major hard-disk activity going on. Now I have
>>no idea how Scribus is designed, but would it (by any chance)
>>be trying to save the file to disk at every key-stroke?
>

> Hi Bruce..
>
> you should not be seeing this behaviour at all. Its always been pretty
> quick and with 1.1.5 you shouldnt see that issue at all. Its not saving
> to disk every key stroke.
>
> Of course there are many factors involved here, but I'd suggest you
> upgrade to 1.1.6 or cvs as then we are at least on the same starting
> point in terms of Scribus. Then we can start to work through the rest.
>
> regards
> Craig

I had also problems while testing and writing code for scribus.
 From time to time, scribus seem to produce a very high number
of windows so that the X-server need a very large amount of memory
and that the system was continuously swapping. This behaviour was
not reproductible, I have told to Franz that this may be due to
not initialized variable. An other reason may a peace of overwritten
memory.

Jean-Jacques