[Scribus] kde3.2 + SuSE 9.0 etc

BandiPat magicpage91
Mon Mar 22 01:10:27 CET 2004

bart at solozone.com wrote:
> Gee, you guys are sharp!
>
> The address is redirected to:
> ftp://bolugftp.uni-bonn.de \
>   /pub/kde/stable/3.2.1 \
>   /SuSE/ix86/9.0
> OK.
>
> #1. I do not use kdenetwork3-mail at all.
> That is because I must use web mail
> through the browser (ATT problem etc).
> OK
> *************

Though you may not use it, the files are quite likely still installed,
so follow Peter's suggestions for that.
----------------

> #2 rpm -Uvh taglib*.rpm
> BUT there IS NO such taglib currently.
> Yes, it appears in the 3.2.1 site but not
> on the disks : so -Uvh for "update"
> is inappropriate, no? Is it ctags?? No?!
> **************

If this is not installed presently on your system, it can be done using
the rpm -Uhv or -ihv taglib*.rpm command.  This file is included with
the new KDE base files.
-----------

> #3 flac I have 1.1.0-201
> gnokii is for nokia. It is on the
> 9.0 disks. Do I really must have it?
> ***********

Many files relate or depend on other files to work correctly.  Even
though you may not use their particular functions, other programs do
need them.  Installing them is not going to cause your system to go
wanky, because they deal with something you don't have.
--------------

> #4 rpm -Fvh *.rpm
> this is for the BASE files. LATER
> may I put in the application and -devel
> rpms?? only these:
> kdebase
> kdelibs
> --sysguard
> --nsplugin
> How does -Uvh differ from -Fvh??
> ***************

-Uhv (upgrades/updates or installs files)
-Fhv (only updates files that are already installed on your system)
--------------

> (When I did gnome update it blew up.
> kde is more robust and I have already done
> 3.1.4.)
>
> The README says SuSE does NOT recommend
> these and if you want a stable
> and secure system, leave it alone!
> But you folks say it's just great!
>
> bart at solozone.com
> **************

If you feel more comfortable staying with your present KDE, then do so,
but 3.2 is very nice!  Those of us that are version junkies can't stay
away from such things though and do the upgrades.  Some folks have
problems for one reason or another, but for the most part, the SuSE rpms
are stable and safe to install.  The little warning, I suspect, is for
those folks that are a little hesitant to update a file everytime a new
build version shows up!  ;o)

Patrick

--
           ---SuSE Linux v9.0 Pro---