[Scribus] Knoppix

LinuxLingam linuxlingam
Sat Mar 20 20:55:13 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 00:40, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> 	I've been working with Knoppix a bit, due to a need to send my laptop
> off to get checked, so I downloaded Knoppix 3.3 to "get by" while my
> laptop is gone.
>
> I was surprised to see that Scribus 1.1.4 is included in Knoppix 3.3;
> works well. So far Knoppix has worked on everything I've tried it on.
>
> Gregory Pittman

i have demoed scribus a couple of times using knoppix 3.3, and even the
earlier 3.2, at a couple of typography and graphic design workshops.
helpfully, knoppix also contains sodipodi and gimp, so makes things
complete. not to mention the usual LaTeX tools, and openoffice. plus PDF
viewers.

however, given the diverse range of PCs i have had thrust upon me, i
have experienced problems in running Knoppix on a few PCs once in a
while, which are usually to do with runlevel 5, quirky motherboards,
video cards, etc. or in getting support for overhead projectors. i
recommend reading thru the F2 to F4 screens of knoppix at boot-time, as
well as to consult its website for additional tips and tricks.

imho, scribus should be standard issue on every major release and distro
of gnulinux. also, it should be positioned in two concurrent markets:
desktop publishing (for lack of a better term), and for enhanced,
interactive, PDF creation, a la acrobat.

a simpler slogan could be:

Scribus.
Creative Page-Design in Print.
Intelligent Documents in PDF.

then, just watch scribus surge ahead into both the traditional
desktop-publishing market, and into the much bigger,
document-engineering market that covers enterprise, government, and
more.

:-)
LL