[Scribus] Rotis: font-problem

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat Mar 20 18:10:30 CET 2004

On Saturday 20 March 2004 11:20 am, Ralf H?ling wrote:
<snip>
> So, if applesystemfonts doesn't convert my font to .ttf there is no
> chance of using it in Scribus? Thats sad. Should I buy a "Windows
> TTF"-Version of this font (I dont' like this thought!)? would that
> work? <http://www.linotype.com/49198/rotissemisans-family.html>

No, what I would recommend is buying  Open Type fonts in the future. They are
supported equally on Wink2k, XP and MacOSX, as well as Scribus and freetype.
They can also be used with Adobe Type Manager on Win9x.

This makes cross-platform font issues disappear. Moreover, the Open Type fonts
I do have are very high quality with expert sets, decoratives and other
features, which used to require several different font files, all wrapped in
single file.

The biggest issue at the moment is few applications really can support all the
features in Open Type. ID 2+ is the best atm for supporting OTF.

Scribus does a very good job of supporting OTF (thanks Franz!)  Scribus can
access all the glyphs in an Open Type Font, as well as embed them properly in
EPS, PS and PDF (a tough issue to solve btw).

One of my grumbles with OSX, is Apple wrapped their OTF fonts in a .dfont
format - but that's another story.

There are two methods I can think of for converting Mac fonts to TTF:

1. Cross-font.  Which is a shareware application which runs on Windows. This
handles Mac PS > TTF pretty well.

2.  There is a freeware app called dfonter or something like that, which
unwraps the .dfont package around MacOSX OTF fonts, so they are usable in X11
and Windows

Sorry I do not have links here, but will add them to scribus.net when I have
them.

Hope that helps,

Peter