[Scribus] Rotis: font-problem

Martin Costabel costabel
Sat Mar 20 11:32:11 CET 2004

Ralf H?ling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I lately tried again scribus after a few month and really was exalted!
> The improvements are great, especially the layers. You do very great work!
> I think I would like scribus anymore (is that right? I mean: noch mehr!)
> if I could use my favourite font: AgfaRotis of Otl Aicher. I use a Mac
> Postscript font that I put in /Library/fonts/ like my other fonts. In
> Sodipodi and Inkscape I am able to use Rotis but not in Scribus.

What format is this font file? If it is something that fondu can
understand, you can run fondu on it and put the resulting ttf file into
one of the subdirectories of /sw/lib/X11/fonts/. Have a look at the
applesystemfonts.info file to see how the applesystemfont package does
this. Actually, rebuilding and installing the applesystemfonts package
might even capture your new font automatically, depending on its file
format.

I don't really understand how scribus and inkscape are finding their
fonts. Both use freetype and fontconfig, but it seems to me they are not
using quite the same mechanism. Scribus seems to detect only those fonts
that are already known to the running X11 server, i.e. those in the Font
Path given by 'xset -q', whereas inkscape manages to look also in some
other system directories. But I don't really know what I am talking
about here.

--
Martin