[Scribus] Re: Scribus crashes with some ghostscript .pfa fonts

Javier Marcet lists
Tue Mar 9 14:35:17 CET 2004

* Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> [040309 14:15]:

>Hi Craig :)

>Yes, sorry, I meant as a report on the mailing list or on IRC, its a
>typical question.

:)

>>Now that I can use it I'll probably wait for the next release. Or is
>>there anything worth it to build from CVS? I'm mostly using PDF output.

>The Changelog is online at www.scribus.net. There are many fixes and
>updates as we are heading towards 1.2. There will not be a new release
>for over a month from now, unless we do end up releasing a 1.1.6 or
>1.2RC. The 1.2CVS Changelog is on www.scribus.net if you want to keep up
>to date with the changes.

I've seen it ;)

>>This is indeed better, since a segmentation fault is not what an end
>>user should find...

>No, but even though we now handle the freetype library better (since 3rd
>March in CVS), it does not provide the required font checking. Right now
>in my testing Scribus still segfaults with Hershey fonts installed and
>AFAIK there are not too many more things we can do for checking in the
>fonts until freetype itself handles this. Hopefully we can find a way to
>avoid this. We were thinking of a font blacklist that was written to on
>crash but its still unfriendly. Of course by default the blacklist would
>include Hershey.

So you say it is really freetype which is not handling them...
Strange I had never had a problem with those fonts before.

>>So in your opinion I better remove that package of fonts altogether?

>Yes. Although just removing Hershey might get you around the issue but
>remember whenever that gets reemerged they will be back to haunt your

Yes I know.
So you are also a Gentoo user :) That's why I recalled your name from
somewhere.
I just unmerged the gnu-gs-fonts-other package. After all, I was not
really using it.

>system. The only fonts seperate from Xfree that I have emerged are
>urw-fonts and ttf-bitstream-vera. All my other fonts come from a Corel

Yeah I have urw and the vera fonts --which by the way are all I use on
my desktop now, they look incredible and no license issues!--.

>set of 1000 fonts I own and are all good quality.

Now that you say that, I remember I have a couple CDs full of nice fonts.

>I have spoken to spyderous - Donnie Berkholz (?)  (the guy who maintains
>Gentoo's XFree ) about those Hershey fonts before and we did discuss
>removing them from Gentoos distribution because of the issues in general
>with Hershey. Not sure whatever came of that.

I didn't get to seek on bugs.gentoo.org since I thought it was a Scribus
only problem.

--
MSDOS is not dead, it just smells that way.
		-- Henry Spencer

Javier Marcet <javier at marcet.info>