[Scribus] Re: Scribus crashes with some ghostscript .pfa fonts

Javier Marcet lists
Tue Mar 9 13:26:19 CET 2004

* Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> [040309 09:48]:

>> Hi there,
>> today I've chased down a absolutely odd crash (Segmentation fault while

>Not so odd.

It seems it wasn't for someone who knows the internals of Scribus, but
as an end user I didn't expect it to be something like that. I must say
it was easy to fix, though.

>> I'm using Qt 3.3.1, KDE 3.2 and kernel 2.6.4-rc2

>> The first thing I tried was recompiling wihout any kind of optimization
>> (I use Gentoo), but that didn't help at all.

>Scribus can use O2 or O3

I have mine with Os right now, and without the naughty fonts everything
seems alright.

>> Thus I ended up stracing it (which I should have done in the first
>> place), and I saw it crashed while opening some fonts I had on
>> /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript

>Typical problem

I see...

>> http://www.marcet.info/files/ghostscript-crashing.tar.bz2

>Hershey fonts.. a typical buggy font.  Forget it.

>> The fonts come from the ghostscript distribution.
>> You can find the original archive on:
>> ftp://ftp.easysw.com/pub/ghostscript/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0.tar.gz

>> P.S If they don't make Scribus crash for you, do you have any idea about
>> what might be the reason for it to crash here?

>Yes, they do. They are bad fonts. My suggestion is to use CVS because we

Now that I can use it I'll probably wait for the next release. Or is
there anything worth it to build from CVS? I'm mostly using PDF output.

>now handle buggy fonts better than before (skips them and you cant use
>them in Scribus) although I'm not sure it handles the Hershey ones yet.

This is indeed better, since a segmentation fault is not what an end
user should find...

>Your best option is to remove them.

So in your opinion I better remove that package of fonts altogether?

Q:	What do you say to a New Yorker with a job?
A:	Big Mac, fries and a Coke, please!

--
Javier Marcet <javier at marcet.info>