[Scribus] Scribus 1.1.7 only works as root, crashes with segfault as user

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Tue Jun 15 17:18:42 CEST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:05:22 -0400
BandiPat <magicpage91 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >>Hi Penelope,

> >./configure ; make ; make install, all as root.
> =============
>
> Penelope,
> I think you might have misread Rolf's mail.  The reason your install of
> Scribus won't run for the user is because you built it as root!  In
> compiling a file, you MUST perform the first two commands as USER in
> your shell, not ROOT!  You can always check your status in the shell
> with the command "whoami".

*please* don't fill people's heads with nonsense. You can compile a
program as any user you want it to, it's just advised to do it as a
non-root user. I compile scribus as root all the time, simply because I
always discover I forgot to install a package along the road and I quickly
apt-get it, and then continue the configure/make again. You need to do
"make install" as root anyway, so ...
The reason you can't run it as a non-root user might more be that you have
a.scribus directory owned by root in your user's account or so... strace
the program to see where a permission denied occurs and you'll have found
the culprit.

Franky