[Scribus] 1.1.7

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Mon Jun 7 04:41:32 CEST 2004

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Wayne Maeda <iw at ukulele.com>
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Sent: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:03:48 -1000
Subject: [Scribus] 1.1.7

> I compiled the version 1.1.7 on a stock Mandrake 10 Official box
> with no problems except that I can't print to my HPLJ1300 anymore.
> The printer labors a while and nothing comes out. I just recently
> changed printer drivers after a similar problem with previous
> versions and it worked fine in 1.1.6.
>
> Other than that, this new version seems to be the best yet. Will
> continue to test this version along with different drivers.
>
> Wayne Maeda
------- End of Original Message -------

One workaround is to export your document to PDF then load it into Acrobat
Reader and print at PS level 2. Another solution is to create a non postscript
printer (E.g. for a HP LJ 1300 series a printer was set up in CUPS thatup as
hplj with lj5gray printer). That works for some apps/docs, too. In general,
create a ps2 level printer. Make sure you use the PPD file from the windows
driver package instead of the cups/foomatic one. You will get better results
during the conversion.

The reason is Scribus is generating PS3 level objects which the PS interpreter
is unable to understand.

This is a frequent issue with Black and White laser jets when printing from
Desktop Publishing Apps - I've seen this with LJ4 and 5, as well as newer HP
2xxx printers with Pagemaker, Quark Xpress and Indesign.

To be added to the FAQ's very soon...

Peter