[Scribus] Scribus Short Words - call for help

Owen Cook rcook
Thu Jul 29 11:16:53 CEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, [iso-8859-2] Johannes R?schel wrote:

> I also noticed that you introduced your plugin, but i really dont understand
> now, what exactly it does. Could you explain it in easy words to me?

This is from the documentation.

Short Words for Scribus is a special plug-in for adding non-breaking
spaces before or after so called short words. These short words are
specific to every national typography, e.g. according to Czech, Polish,
and Slovak typographical standards it is not allowed to leave one letter
conjunctions at line ends, if the line contains more than 25 signs. A
common issue are measure and weight units, where for obvious reasons
non-breaking spaces should be put in-between the preceding numbers and the
units. Last but not least, there are plenty of abbreviated academic
degrees, military ranks etc, which should not be separated from their
owners. Although Scribus team cannot individually address every one of
these national standards, one of the Scribus core team developers, Petr
Van?k, decided to provide Scribus users with a plug-in, that can be easily
customized to meet their specific needs.

HTH

Owen