[Scribus] Scribus on OS X

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Jul 26 19:05:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 18:48, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I've spent a lot of time trying to get Scribus to build on OS X. In
> theory, it should build, because Qt runs natively on the Mac. And, in
> fact, Benjamin Reed did get version 1.0 running under Aqua, though it
> was wobbly and didn't really work. However, later versions of Scribus
> have added a lot of X11 dependencies to the code, especially with screen
> display, and porting Scribus to the Mac now would require addressing
> that somehow. My guess is that the X11 dependencies were added to get
> the most out of the Linux platform, but that also means that there's no
> easy way to rewrite them in a more generic, platform-neutral way without
> possibly gutting the program itself.
>
> Craig B. or Martin C., if I've made any misstatements here, please
> clarify. Thanks.

Sounds about right Kevin. I would really be interested to hear of
someone out there whos wanting to play with Gentoo MacOSX. I'm not sure
where things are up to but I know it is now released and work
progresses.

I know freetype 2.1.5 is available but the rest of the dependencies are
not yet. I am planning on following this activity closely as I am an x86
Gentoo user and Gentoo MacOSX could be a very promising thing for
Scribus in the short term.

I think in the 1.3 development series we will be able to make reasonable
headway into making a clearer distinction between various areas of the
code which may lead to the possibility of plugging in a new XYZ library
in the future. Never know.. ;)

Craig