[Scribus] Setting linescreen when printing pdf file

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive
Thu Jul 22 00:41:42 CEST 2004

Hi Craig,

> Also, with a low line screen my understanding is that a high-res input
> doesn't do you any good, because it's not possible to represent the
> additional information in the coarse output.

For the vast majority of images, yes, but there is an exception: a very
sharp crisp image might have well-defined edges between dark and light
that go through the middle of halftone cells.  A good RIP will only
produce as much of the halftone dot as falls in the dark area; the dot
will be cut to follow the line of the edge in the image.  Therefore, the
higher the image's resolution, the better defined this edge will be.
(Needs a diagram really...)

Of course, many photographs are too diffuse for this to be an issue, but
if you're stuck with a logo in bitmap format, the extra resolution is
worth having.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson