[Scribus] Setting linescreen when printing pdf file

Wayne Maeda iw
Sun Jul 18 00:22:11 CEST 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 04:29 pm, Rainer Heilke wrote:

> If it is only a single page, you can try bringing it into PhotoShop
> (since it sounds like a professional printing system, I would hope they
> have PhotoShop!). PhotoShop can bring in PDF files--the question is if
> it comes in cleanly. PhotoShop sometimes only "sees" the first image,
> rather than the whole page. If it looks OK, go to "Print with Preview"
> in the File menu. There should be a "Screen" button about 2/3 way down,
> 1/3 in from the left side. This is where you can set it. Note that you
> set it for each separation (printer colour).
>
> There used to be a way to do it from Acrobat, but that was 3 lives and 2
> versions back, and I no longer even remember if this was a Mac-specific
> thing.  :-/ Sorry. Seems to me Illustrator could do this, too, but
> again... Memory fades...
>
> IHTH
>
> Rainer
>
> Wayne Maeda wrote:
> >I'm trying to print out a tabloid size pdf file (created in Scribus) on a
> >postscript printer but can't figure out how to set the linescreen. My
> >graphics have to be printed out at 75 lpi or less. I'm using Adobe Acrobat
> >(in Windows and Linux) to print from but there doesn't seem to be any way
> > to set the linescreen. Is the linescreen set in the pdf file with
> > Scribus? Has anyone done this?
> >
> >If the page were letter size, I could print it out on my printer by using
> > the command line. However, since it's a tabloid size page, I need to use
> > an outside printer and outside computer (which runs Windows only).
> >
> > I have access to Pagemaker ( I don't have Quark) but can't figure out how
> > to load a pdf file. The documentation covers how to create a pdf file but
> > not how to load one.
> >
> >What's the best way to print out a pdf file on Windows?

I tried using Photoshop on my Scribus pdf file and the linescreen can be set
at 75 lpi except that everything gets printed out as if they were all
halftones. The photographs look good but everything black, especially text,
is treated as a halftone so instead of dark crisp black letters, I get dark
splotchy gray letters with dots in it. This wreaks havoc on my 9pt text. It's
almost unreadable. Is there a special Photoshop setting that I need to
adjust? I tried converting to grayscale but it looked even worse.

Thanks,
Wayne
back to 1.1.7