[Scribus] Installation Issues with Scribus 1.1.4

ephemeron ephemeron
Sat Jan 10 13:11:25 CET 2004

On 9. January 2004 at 12:12PM -0500,
Hugh Esco <hesco at greens.org> wrote:

[...]

> Yesterday, I attempted to install Scribus 1.1.4 on a Debian
> Woody machine upgraded with the Testing version of the
> packages.
>
> ./configure bombs out at:
> checking for libz... configure: error: not found. Check your
> installation and look into config.log
>
> What does that mean and what do I need to do about it, please?
> apt-get install didn't work for me.  Debian's packages database
> is still down and I don't know what package name I should be
> asking for to satisfy this libz dependency.

There's a Debianized scribus package for unstable.  Perhaps you
can use that to fetch the dependencies necessary for a successful
Debian build ("Build-Depends"):

Package: scribus
Binary: scribus
Version: 1.1.4-1
Section: graphics
Maintainer: Wolfgang Sourdeau <was at debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), c++-compiler, gettext,
xlibs-dev, xutils, libjpeg-dev, libpng3-dev, libz-dev,
liblcms1-dev (>= 1.09), libtiff3g-dev, libqt3-compat-headers (>=
3.1.1), libqt3-mt-dev (>= 3.1.1), python2.3-dev, libart-2.0-dev,
libcupsys2-dev
[...]

The "libz-dev" package is a virtual package that points to (at
least on my Testing system) zlib1g-dev.  The command for getting
the build-depends is "apt-get build-dep <package-name>".