[Scribus] another (?) use for Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jan 7 15:34:31 CET 2004

Having just recently bought an LCD projector, I was in the process of
putting together a presentation.

I was going to use Presentation in OpenOffice, but was dissatisfied with
the quality of the fonts, color transitions, and well as the chronic
hassle with the very structured formats for the slides.

I then tried making HTML, and again not happy with the font-handling
capabilities of Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try out Scribus, then export to
PDF, then use acroread ---> it looks GREAT!  Acroread has all the basic
features you need for a presentation, with full screen views, settings
for the display (automatic or by mouse click), antialiasing. Color
gradients are superb. (And transitions that just as cheesy/visually
distracting as they are in Presentation or PowerPoint)

I think this brings up a whole new arena for using Scribus, and you also
automatically have printing/publishing capabilities either in Scribus or
acroread for printing a syllabus.  I haven't tried some of the clickable
features of PDFs yet, but that's another possibility.

Gregory Pittman
Louisville, KY