[Scribus] Build 1.0.1 Scribus on OS X

Benjamin Reed ranger
Fri Jan 2 19:58:47 CET 2004

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> When I try to compile 1.0.1 v. of Scribus on Mac OS X, I get this error
> (looks like libtool is doing something weird):
>
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -O2 -fno-exceptions
> -fno-check-new  -export-dynamic -s  -o scribus -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/Developer/qt/lib fontcombo.o scpreview.o lineformats.o multiline.o
> splash.o mergedoc.o bookpalette.o rc4.o md5.o cupsoptions.o
> guidemanager.o kimageeffect.o scribuswin.o hyphenator.o hyphen.o hyask.o
> hnjalloc.o hysettings.o seiten.o fpointarray.o fpoint.o annota.o
> buttonicon.o javadocs.o selfield.o editor.o page.o layers.o polyprops.o
> mpalette.o werktoolb.o keymanager.o navigator.o annot.o bookmwin.o
> cmsprefs.o customfdialog.o picsearch.o picstatus.o newtemp.o
> applytemplate.o muster.o scfonts_ttf.o scfonts_encoding.o scrap.o
> scfonts.o frameedit.o spalette.o edit1format.o editformats.o druck.o
> colorchart.o util.o cmykcolor.o cmykfw.o scribusXml.o linecombo.o
> linkbutton.o helpbrowser.o mspinbox.o modify.o movepage.o delpages.o
> inspage.o pdfopts.o tree.o missing.o fontprefs.o fmitem.o align.o
> serializer.o reformdoc.o docinfo.o mdup.o cpalette.o dcolor.o query.o
> colorm.o vruler.o hruler.o pageback.o pageitem.o newfile.o scribusview.o
> scribusdoc.o scribus.o main.o -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lcups -llcms
> -ldl -lc -ltiff -lm -lqt-mt  -lpng -lz -lm -lXext -lX11  -lSM -lICE
> -lpthread -lXext -lX11
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `'
> make[3]: *** [scribus] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> [Kevin-Walzers-Computer:/Applications/cross-platform/scribus-1.0.1]
> kevinwal%
>
> I'm not sure what it's looking for or how to fix this. Any advice?

It's probably picking up the libqt-mt.la file.  Qt's .la file contains
"-framework foo" in the depends_lib section for a Qt/Mac build, and no
libtool other than latest cvs understands this.  The fix is to either
delete the .la, or bootstrap the latest libtool from CVS and rerun
libtoolize, generally.

I believe it may work also if you hack libqt-mt.la to do -Wl,-framework
-Wl,foo instead, but I don't recall for sure.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
gpg: 6401 D02A A35F 55E9 D7DD  71C5 52EF A366 D3F6 65FE