[Scribus] queries about the .sla/.xml connection

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Feb 27 02:23:03 CET 2004

I continue to try to understand something about why certain decisions
were made in regard to .sla files.

A recurrent question is why the text in a text frame is an attribute
rather than character data.  I seems all the examples of xml I can find
never do it this way. It might explain the parsing problem that Perl
has, but perhaps also the ongoing struggle with editing frames with or
without Story Editor.

And related -- why use Ctrl-E for carriage return? This is a major
problem with XML::Parser in Perl.  I suppose I can write a perl program
to switch this, then switch it back (I know, I know, why use perl at
all...but processing text files is really the bread and butter of what
perl can do so well). On the other hand, why not create an xml tag for
line break or carriage return?

Gregory Pittman