[Scribus] 1.1.5 changes 1.1.4 doc

Wayne Maeda iw
Thu Feb 19 22:08:45 CET 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 03:46 am, BandiPat wrote:

> > I experienced a few changes between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 too. Basically, it
> > had to do with text frames that were close to the page borders. These
> > frames tend to shift a little in 1.1.5 requiring you to re-position them
> > by hand. This is not a problem unless of course your design is filled
> > with this kind of text frames.
> >
> > A larger problem I encountered is the inability to move small text frames
> > with the mouse. The problem is that the cursor changes to the double
> > arrow even when it's within the confines of the text frame. This makes it
> > impossible to get the 4-way arrow cursor required to move the frame.
> > Perhaps it should be changed so that the cursor changes to a double arrow
> > only when it's directly over one of the 8 red boxes which surround a
> > selected text frame.
> >
> > Try this: create a text frame, select it, hover over one of the 8 red
> > boxes until the cursor changes to a double arrow. Move the mouse in
> > toward the center of the text frame. Notice how far it can go before the
> > double arrow changes to a 4-way arrow.
> >
> > If your text frame is so small that the cursor will not be allowed to
> > change to a 4-way arrow, you can never move the frame with the mouse. I
> > sometimes construct maps with little items that all have to be numbered.
> > Moving these numbers can be a nightmare. Doing it with the Properties
> > dialog box can be a bigger nightmare.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wayne

> Wayne,
>
> Open your Properties box, lock the frame you want to move and it will
> work wonderfully without changing the frame at all.  I think Peter or
> Craig pointed this out to me on IRC while I was complaining about moving
> small frames.  ;o)
>
> Patrick

Patrick,

Yes, that works but when you have to work with hundreds of small text frames,
it's really a hindrance to keep locking and unlocking those frames just so
you can edit and move them. I guess it must be on the TODO list if this was
brought up before. Check out how Openoffice handles small text frames. No
matter how small the frames are, you can always select and move them with the
mouse.

Another thing I've experienced is that whenever I rotate a text frame, the
layout of the text changes whenever I zoom to below 100%. The change can be
quite radical and jumbled.

Try it: create a text frame then rotate it say 10 degrees. Now play with the
zoom spinner in the lower left corner. Zoom below 100% and keep spinning
away. You'll notice that the rotated text frame changes a lot as you zoom.
It's quite evident with large headline text with center justification. What's
disturbing about this observance is that depending on which zoom step you
stop at, that's the way the frame will print out. If you stop at a zoom level
that makes the text look jumbled, that's the way it will look in the "Print
Preview" and that's the way it will print out; even though it looks fine at
100% zoom.

Thanks,
Wayne
1.1.5