[Scribus] Qt 3.3 - the morning after

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Feb 14 23:28:07 CET 2004

Owen wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:50:11 -0500
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>

>>After "successfully" installing Qt 3.3, the next phase came when I
>>booted up again today, at which time kdeinit failed, which I rightly
>>presumed was due to kdeinit not finding qt where it thought it should be.
>

>>And lastly, there is a line in /etc/ld.so.conf that refers to the qt/lib
>>that needs changing, after which you run /sbin/ldconfig.
>

> I built a new qt in /opt and then moved my original qt like you, then symbolicly linked the new qt to where the old qt was
>
> That way I didn't have to worry about ld.so.conf, plus all the other qt path related problems from other programs

There are always these ways around it. In terms of simplicity, elegance,
and just knowing where things *really* are, I don't like to use links.
Realizing of course that many developers use them to help find various
lib files. It's obvious that people are trying to get away from creating
or using /opt at all.

Gregory Pittman