[Scribus] Qt 3.3

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Feb 13 03:31:45 CET 2004

After a while, one gets tired of the "what version of Qt are you
running?" so I downloaded the new 3.3 version from Trolltech.

Since this was the first success I have had I thought I would share my
experience, since the time that it takes to compile Qt is frustrating
when it doesn't work -- seems like it takes all day.

The first issue is figuring out what the <bleep /> to do with the "old"
  Qt, especially since mine, like I'm sure many others, is an RPM, so
tracking down all the bits of Qt with rpm -e is frustrating, and then
you get all the complaints about dependencies.  Sometimes I will just
use the --nodeps flag, but that's always worrisome, especially 	when you
don't know if the replacement will be successful.

So I download Qt 3.3 from Trolltech, check the INSTALL info.  It wants
to go to /usr/local and set up shop there. My old rpm Qt is mostly but
not entirely seemingly in /usr/lib. So what I decide to do is to just
'mv /usr/lib/qt-3.1 /usr/lib/OLD.QT' so at least I can recoup if I fail.

So the next thing is to add the QTLIB.... lines to /etc/profile like it
says in INSTALL.  I copy qt-X11-free-3.3.0.tar.gz to /usr/local, unzip,
untar, then change the name of the directory to /usr/local/qt, cd to that.

Run './configure', then 'make' (this takes a l-o-o-o-ng time even on my
P4 2.66GHz). I'm not sure whether I need to, but then run 'make install'
for good measure (? - you know, the INSTALL file is a little unclear on
this).

Then I go to my 1.1.5cvs directory, try to './configure' and OUCH! -- I
needed the -thread option when I configured Qt!

BACK to /usr/local/qt, 'make clean', then re-read INSTALL, think I'll
get fancy and redirect './configure' with '-libdir /usr/local/lib...';
fortunately, this didn't even survive configure, so I didn't waste a
whole new make process with Qt.

So-o-o back to original plan, './configure -thread' this time; run
'make', but decide to skip 'make install'(?)

THIS time Scribus 1.1.5cvs configures fine, make, make install are OK,
and Scribus is running fine on Qt 3.3!

Having done this, I still have questions about whether I needed to do
all this, and what do I do with all the shards of Qt 3.1 still in my
system.  Perhaps someone else can tell me more.

Gregory Pittman