[Scribus] windows port;cygwin

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Feb 5 22:29:04 CET 2004

bart at solozone.com

Loads :-)

I've done it with pre 0.9 Scribus. I have not tried in a while, tho it
is on the list.

You will need the complete KDE-Cygwin package installed including the
devel-stuff, all the automagic bits from cygwin *and* the speciallly
patched ld from kde-cygwin. Then, whatever is missing from the compile
docs on scribus.net. It is a long list.

The newly released KDE-Cygwin Qt packages are build with gcc 3.x and
newer versions of Scribus will not compile easily with 2.95.3.

Try to use the KDE-Cygwin packages first, then use the regular cygwin
packages.

Once you have KDE-Cygwin installed and working, then you are ready to
start trying to compile Scribus.

You may need to explictly point the ./configure script to the qt libs
e.g. ./configure --with-qt-dir= and so on until ./configure is happy.

The Cygwin +KDE-Cygwin + build tools was over 1GB, IIRC.

Other hints/issues:

Printing support is minimal at the moment.

The Kde-Cygwin team is small but very helpful in answering questions
*provided* you have read through the docs and the mailing lists.

Scribus has trouble finding its plug-ins. So functions which are
plug-ins did not work. This may need some patches to the source code. I
think I know enough about Cygwin and Scribus to help there.

Be patient !

I am on irc on #scribus quite a bit.. that might be where I can answer
questions as you work through the issues.

Good luck and keep us posted please

Peter