[Scribus] variables

Steve Callcott stotte
Wed Feb 4 20:54:52 CET 2004

On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 4:30 pm, Ronald Vermeire wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 09:55, Ronald Vermeire wrote:

> > > welcome Ronald.
> > > can you explain how do you expect to use scribus with relational
> > > database?
>
> Hello Petr and list,
>
> We currently have an application to create businesscards. In this
> application we create variables, styles etc. and put them in mySQL. This
> application also has a 'template-designer'. With this template-designer you
> can, in a non visual environment, create the business cards by inserting
> the variables and styles and typing in the coordinates, this results in an
> xml file. Then our customers can type in the variables through a
> web-interface. The xml file is translated into Latex and the customer can
> see a preview PDF of his businesscard.
>
> I would like to use Scribus as template designer so the variables created
> in mySQL have to be inserted in Scribus.(maybe also insert the styles,
> these should then be translated into Scribus styles) . Then i would like to
> use scribus as a server-side application to create the preview PDF when our
> customers have filled in their variables.
>
> I hope i have made myself clear and that you see a possibility to do such
> things in Scribus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ronald.

I would think that the scriptor is the way to go. All the things you need to
access a MySQL database are available to Python. Use Tkinter to get any user
input. Scribus has an ever increasing set of Python functions to create the
actual Scribus document.

Using the Scriptor, you will be able to get data from a database into a
Scribus document. I am working on something similar here.

Steve Callcott