[Scribus] Scripter

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Dec 29 15:35:44 CET 2004

? (At) 9h16 +0100 29/12/04, Franz Schmid ?crivait (wrote) :
>Louis Desjardins schrieb:
>>It just came to my mind that this little X is like a dumb light in
>>the car telling you the motor temp is too high... when it's too
>>late (or very late)... We'd be improving again, and innovating, if
>>the little square telling you text overflows would be a number (of
>>line) instead. Could be in a square. Could be whatever! But it
>>would be anything but dumb. And would help make a decision right
>>away:
>>a. too many lines to adjust the layout, go back to the editor and
>>tell them to cut that many lines (and by the way, you sound smart
>>knowing that much about the problem! No more "cut a few, and it'll
>>be perfect" thing... who needs an approximation 10 minutes from the
>>deadline?!)
>>b. 2-3 lines over, track a bit or suppress a subtitle
>>c. 10 lines over and this author will never accept a text cut, crop
>>the picture instead, crop it!
>>d. 20 lines and the same as 3, change the font and squeeze the
>>leading... oh! and yes, crop the pic, just a bit.
>>e. 300 lines over... well, at least you'll know it doesn't fit at
>>all and can ask "by the way who the hell did the layout and thought
>>it'd fit!"
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Louis
>You can get the exact information how much text doesn't fit into a
>textframe when you right click on that frame and choose the "Info"
>item on top of the popup menue.

Hi Franz,

I will not say enough how I am impressed and enthusiastic with all
the work that you do! Scribus is just great, I realize that everyday.
And the program has still lots of surprises, like this one!

Did you know Quark can't tell you that much?

The feature I was thinking of is very close to the info we can get
right now. But it would also relates to other variables: width of
text frame, typeface, type size, leading (the basic settings we used
to deal with in photocomposition coding <M><S><L><T> for Measure,
Size, Leading, Type) from which we'd know exactly how many lines of
type we have in the text frame, and how many lines -- provided we
keep the same text frame width (or "measure") -- are there left when
the text frame is not long enough. I guess we already have a good
start with the info. As if it were possible to implement the feature
as I see it, is a question I can't answer myself!

All the best to you!

Danke sh?n!

Louis