[Scribus] Scribus review on Low End Mac

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Dec 27 21:31:09 CET 2004

For those of you interested, there's a review of Scribus on
http://lowendmac.com/designer/17.html

The author's summary is mostly positive:

"If you can afford to buy a commercial application, be that Quark,
InDesign, or MLayout, you really should, even if only to ensure that you
can open other people's files. The question is, all other things being
equal, is Scribus up to the job of professional DTP? The answer is yes,
with a few caveats.

The font problem is particularly troubling -- but that's more to do with
my lack of Unix knowledge, so hopefully we can report back to you with
some success soon.

As a layout application, Scribus is fine, plus its PDF output is flawless.

Our final worry is that it doesn't support proprietary color standards
such as Hexachrome or Pantone -- and likely never will."

Christoph