[Scribus] english at last?

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Thu Dec 23 14:38:28 CET 2004

Hi,

Curiously or not, what brought me to Scribus, among other things, was
the fact that there is a [my language] version I could grab, play
with and show to others. All this in [my language] no matter how many
crazy people from all around the world, speaking so many different
and fabulous languages, gave a hand to make that happen!

I do contribute to this list in [other language] and it is my
pleasure to do so. It's also a challenge because sometimes I find it
really hard to express myself in [other language]. So I read The
Register (for instance) and other [other language] publications and I
learn and try to make sense in [other language].

Sometimes, through the mistakes other contributors make in [other
language] doing the same thing as me, I can recognize [another
language] and I find this always really interesting. It even helps me
learn and correct myself. I am always in a learning state. Although I
must say I am very lazy at learning how to update a cvs but this is
[another story]. ;-)

I was shocked by this "Finally English replaces unreadable text"
because it's a hit at a very sensible spot. The statement is wrong.
Short view, short perspective, short thinking and narrow-minded. It
really hurts because it's not like the Scribus project. Each and
every word in this very short sentence is like fuel to light a fire.
Was there a necessity for that?

So, to find a little peace I went to see the translation stats and
found the open sourced Scribus is *by far* better, despite its
limitations, than any other DTP app because more people, speaking
more languages, can use it, work, learn or teach in [their own
language] and if one finds [his language] is not there, he/she can
grab the file and translate it.

Scribus team can be proud and prouder each and every time a new
language-forgive me to say- finally replaces English in the menus! It
means a whole new bunch of "scribusors" is born, somewhere on the
planet. It does not diminish anybody and does not reduce any language
"or whatever it was" to something that shouldn't be there because it
is not useful to some others.

Maybe the following statement (cited from the "apologies to the
list") could be revised a bit an could benefit of more nuances and
subtleties.

>Scribus, nor any other open source project, has
>not or will not achieve the growth and success
>desired by the developers unless the default
>language is English - the International language.

I do think we all benefit from the input of others. Without some
specific needs for specific languages, Scribus would not be the same
nor would other open source projects. It's this ability to respect
the differences that makes the difference. Nothing such in the
commercial world of apps.

I too agree with Greg

>I think some discussions about how to present oneself with civility,
>common sense, and respect for others is appropriate for any list.

I hope we keep up with the good work, and the spirit! ;-)

Au revoir!

Louis