[Scribus] Re: WP vs DTP

Rainer Heilke rheilke
Mon Dec 20 02:27:45 CET 2004

Nik wrote:

>I'll try to explain my view here:
>
>One of the reasons that WP is so popular is that a generation of computer
>users found Word ready-installed on their computers, and learned to use it.
>For better or worse (and I believe, much worse, in fact) this is the default
>way most users create a computer document these days.

I agree. Truth is, though, that this (broken) system is all most people
want. And it will be many, many years before you overturn this WP model.

>In fact, I too would be aghast if my favourite DTP starting exhibiting WP-like
>failings. However, a single simple tool that didn't require me to use both a
>(broken) WP, and a DTP to produce useful output would be a very desirable
>tool.

I think the proper solution might be a fully functional module--that is,
turning the current Story Editor in something much grander. This may be
a hard sell, though. It would mean marrying a WP/DTP-cross module into
the actual DTP, I would think. And then there are spreadsheets, tables,
etc. When does the list stop? I would still argue the separation of the
two. Not to say a more powerful Story Editor would be a bad thing, but
let's not divert energies away from Scribus' core DTP development.

Just my humble 1.5c. Drat, .6c after taxes! ;-)

Rainer