[Scribus] PDF file size

Paraplegic Racehorse paraplegic_racehorse
Thu Dec 16 20:36:47 CET 2004

Scribus 1.2, SuSE 9.1 Pro

I am in the process of creating some PDF documents of several series of
disparate, but themed, graphics files. I am unable to achieve anything
resembling reasonable PDF output file size, however. In one case, I have
somewhat less than one page of text (two fonts, embedded) and
approximately 12 pages of assorted graphics files. Within my filesystem,
the combined size of all the graphics is about four MB of [mostly]
reduced-color-palatte GIF files. The output PDF, however, is nearly
20MB! (8.0 x 10.5 pages, 300dpi, reduce images to 300dpi, embed two
fonts, Acrobat 5.0, generate thumbs, include bookmarks, format for printer)

The only thing that immediately comes to mind, concerning how to reduce
file size is to reduce the resolution, which I am loathe to do. Can
anyone toss me some pointers?

Incidentally, the first four of the PDFs are available at
http://homepage.mac.com/charlesreynolds/werldwerks/models/index.html

--
__
Faster than a speeding slug!