[Scribus] Colour management questions

David Purton dcpurton
Fri Dec 3 04:37:23 CET 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:46:07PM +1100, Owen wrote:

> > http://marshwiggle.net/corel12.png (screen shot not export)
>

> > Here are some similar ones created in Corel:
> >
> > http://marshwiggle.net/RGB.tif
> > http://marshwiggle.net/CMYK.tif
>

> To say the least, I am intrigued.
>
> The screen shot colors in core112.png are converted badly
> 	RGB			CMYK
> Stated		Actual	  Stated 	Actual
> 00FFFF		00b5b4	  100%C		009fe1
> FF00FF		a92782	  100%M		c40084
> FFFF00		ffea28	  100%Y		fff500
> 000000		191e20	  100%K		2f2923

No, no. These are converted well. What you are looking at is a proof of
what these colours will look like when printed on on offset press.
corel12.png is an RGB image, the hex values you have stated are Corel's
estimate of the final output on a press. (yeah - the hex values are
different, but the overall colour is much the same.)

The RGB colours are actually fairly similar to what scribus is giving
using lcms or the top gimp image in scribus.png. Not exactly the same,
since Corel is using different profiles, than little cms is, but
certainly similar.

If I were to turn of colour corection in Corel and then take another
screen shot, both lots would look the same ghastly uncorrected RGB
colours - the really pale blue, the super bright magenta, etc.

> The ones in scribus.png are equally inconsistent

I don't know why the two tiffs (again see scribus.png) imported into
scribus look different to the top set of colours (which are rectangle
objects in scribus), but to be fair, even Corel draw does not draw the
rgb image exactly the same as its RGB objects either - although Corel
does get the CMYK tif exactly right.

> My 2cs worth, though probably only worth a cent or less is that you
> have something screwed in your exporters or profilers

I do not think so, I can make both lcms and Corel do much the same
thing, I just can't get Scribus to do what I want.

The tiffs above were exported from Corel, but without profiles being
involved, ie, they contain exact unfidled colours.

I do not know of any program under linux which will confirm the CMYK one
for you, so you'll just have to trust me ;)

If the two tiffs look the same in scribus, then scribus is not doing the
Right Thing (TM).

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a