[Scribus] Re: Fonts look bad at first with PDF plugin in browser

Alexander Skwar listen
Wed Dec 1 14:39:23 CET 2004

Plinnell wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 12:43, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

> [ linearize pdf ]

> You can use the pdfopt tool from Ghostscript to do this:
>
> $pdfopt ./input.pdf ./output.pdf
>
> In my test, this doubled the file size, but it does load much faster.

Yes, indeed, it does! Thanks!

> 2) There are 10 fonts in the PDF, which is very high for a single page form.

Yes. I trimmed that down now. Didn't make a difference, though.

> Personally, I would only use the "Base-14" fonts which are included in all
> versions of Acrobat.

What are those? Helvetica and such? Well, how do I select them?
They aren't present in the font drop down boxes.

> 3) Acrobat Reader + gtk2 is not a good combo.

I tested Acrobat on Windows.

> 4) While Scribus can create PDF forms (which is a wonderful and underused
> feature IMO), the defaults and most of our testing is directed towards
> optimal print output.

Hm, okay.

> The rave reviews Scribus gets for PDF output shows that
> effort.

Hey, I did NOT AT ALL want to sound like I think that Scribus isn't
great.

Quite the contrary: It's an EXCELLENT application! It's astonishing
what you guys have done!

> It is genuinely commercial grade and in some cases, superior to well
> known DTP apps.

Well, I don't know many other apps, but it is really a good tool.
Yes!

Alexander Skwar
--
sunset, n.:
 Pronounced atmospheric scattering of shorter wavelengths,