[Scribus] Pdf screen rulings

Steve Jacobs steve
Sun Aug 22 05:04:37 CEST 2004

Using Scribus 1.2RC1:

I made a pdf which contains grayscale art and some 30% gray type with
with a custom screen ruling of 80 lpi. When printed via Gsview, the
result is a 50 lpi halftone. When printed via Acrobat Reader, the result
is about 140 lpi, which I think is the printer's default.

Using any combination of frequency, angle and dot style seems to produce
50 lpi and 45 degrees and round dots from Gsview and default printer
output from Acrobat.

The same layout, exported as pdf without custom printer settings prints
at 140 lpi with both programs. Printing via Gsview with DITHERPPI=85
produced the desired 85 line halftone.

Oddly, in all of these tests (including the DITHERPPI=85 one), text got
screened at a somewhat (maybe 15%) coarser ruling than the graphic.

The printer is an Laserjet 1200 (ps level 2). Acrobat 5.0.9. Gsview 4.6.
Ghostscript 8.14. I'm not sure how much of this is Scribus behavior and
how much is my printer's.

Regards,

Steve

--