[Scribus] Re: On extra space [bug 424]

Fred Albrecht fred
Fri Apr 30 16:12:25 CEST 2004

Florian Arnold wrote:

> AFAIK, spacing after the period is language-dependent. E.g. in English
> (American?) typography you normaly put a larger space after the period than
> between other pairs of words, and also TeX takes this into account
> automatically. On the other hand, in German (and probably in a lot of other
> languages) there is no extra space after the period. Consequently, the German
> language pack for TeX has this special English spacing rule disabled.

In French the rules are also specific, for example you have a regular
space after a comma, but a thin space (which is non breakable, called
"espace fine" in French) before a semi colon or a colon. This kind of
space is also used to break up large numbers (where usians would use
commas) as well as between typographical quotes (? and ?) and the
enclosed text.

I presently have a problem w/ this BTW because I'm composing a mall 8
page newsletter and the Latin 1 (or 9) non-breakable space ends up as
squares in the resulting PDF file. And replacing them with regular
spaces gives me line breaks in horrendous places... Any help with this
would be appreciated.

I'm studying the Unicode charset to see if this kind of thing is
supported but I don't know if :
- my current document which is currently Latin-15 can be easily
converted to Unicode (or does Scribus store it as Unicode internally anyway)
- printers know how to handle Unicode

I'm fairly familiar with charset issues in electronic media but I
haven't really done anything that had to do with printing in years (and
I never ever did that much to begin with). So I know I have a lot of
catching up to do.

BTW, congratulations to the author(s) of Scribus, alhough it's not quite
there yet I'm confident it will soon be a major productivity platform
for us Linux users.

--
Fred.
   Linux, {Free,Open}BSD mercenary {sys,net}admin @ N48?53.115 E02?19.31