[Scribus] Great job on 1.1.6!

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Thu Apr 15 18:28:29 CEST 2004

I recently installed 1.1.6 and just used it for the first time to make a birthday greeting for
an aunt whose turning 60.  Her family wanted everyone to send greetings and old photos.
Since I waited til the last minute, I decided to do it electonically. Scribus has improved
tremendously in the last 6 months.  Franz & company, you are doing a super job.

With applesystemfonts, I had access to many more fonts than previously.  I loved the
shapes you can use to frame pictures.  Tilting text frames was more robust.  Scribus just
felt more solid.  Another nice touch is that the defaults on the Export to PDF dialog are now what
I want.  Before, I always had to remember to click on the fonts tab and select embed fonts. Now
that is the default.   I'm anxious to try some of the other features I've been reading about
on this list.

I can put a copy of what I created on my web pages if anyone is interested.  It's fairly
basic, put together in a few hours, including finding and scanning the old photos.  But
it is an example of what a non-professional, casual home user can do.  I like the control
Scribus gives you over each element.  I do miss not having a font preview, but it sounds
like that is being worked on.  I can see if you use fonts a lot, you don't need the preview --
you already have your favorites and know what many of them look like from memory.  For
me, they are just so many names.

I did have one crash (bus error) while working on this.  Is there some way
of gathering information about a crash after the fact that can provide useful information to the
developpers?  At this point I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time, but perhaps
I can be more helpful with future crashes.  (Mac 10.2.8, Apple X11, quartz-wm)

Thanks for everyone's hard work on this project.

Carol